Tuesday 3 April 2012

The sauna hit 96C (204.8F) today

I am just back from my daily sauna, and it was a pretty intense session today.  When I entered the sauna it was already 90C (194F), but by the time I left it was even higher at 96C (204.8F).  I managed to stick it out for 30 minutes without feeling the urge to leave, and after I finished I felt absolutely fine.  One could use words like radiant or glowing.

It is amazing that the body can withstand those kind of temperatures as a few degrees hotter and water can boil at that temperature.  I can only assume that the dryness of the air makes it tolerable.  By chance I decided to take my heart rate monitor and chest strap to the spa today, so I was able to monitor my heart rate throughout the 30 minutes.

At the beginning of the session my heart rate was hovering around 50 and it didn't change that much for a good ten minutes.  After that it started to rise steadily till it was around 80.  It went much higher when I got up and left the sauna, probably caused by the exertion of standing up and moving around.  As I was taking a cold shower it started to go down, and when I sat down it returned to normal after around ten minutes or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment