Sunday 13 March 2011

Hiking in the Uster area and evening run

Negrita as usual keeping me on my toes
Yesterday I had to skip running as I have had a continuous headache since Friday morning.  Although saying that it didn't stop me from doing my 1 hour private Pilates class and doing some balance board training and skipping in Holmes Place on Saturday morning.  I woke up this morning feeling pretty bad too. However, Anny was kind enough to do a Shiatsu type massage on my back and that helped it a lot.  I haven't had any headaches caused by back tension in ages, but at one point I was getting them every week, so it seems this may well have been another one of them.

We decided to go for a hike from Uster to Wetzikon, taking Negrita along with us.  We really enjoyed the views and stopped for a nice pub lunch in a small village along the way.  At a couple of points I took Negrita for a quick sprint as she loves outrunning me.  The photo above shows just how much fun she thinks it is to be ahead of me.  Talk about competitive nature.

In the evening when we got back I wanted to get in a proper run.  I was thinking to do a half marathon but I had a few other things to take care of, some work and some non work related, and so in the end I did 11km.  Tomorrow I shall try to do the half marathon that I wanted to do today, as I don't have anything else planned tomorrow evening other than my training.

On an aside note I have started taking Spirulina supplements, as I have heard many reports of how great a superfood it is.  Let's see if I notice any effect from that.  In addition I still take Maca, and whenever I feel even slightly off I take some Echinacea drops and some Goji berry juice.  I am rather the experimenter when it comes to supplements.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Paul,

    The training sounds like it's going well.

    May i ask what Goji berry juice is good for ?, also, where did you find it in Switzerland ?

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi paddyrunner

    I first encoutered Goji berries in a yoga and superfoods workshop that I attended, organised by Glocals. These berries from Tibet have been the subject of numerous studies. They are widely used to reduce sugar craving and are suitable for hypoglycemic people. They contain over 15% protein, 21 essential minerals, 18 amino acids and extremely high levels of beta carotene. In China and Tibet they have been used for centuries. I found a Winterfit juice in Migros that contains Goji berry juice and I also got some dried berries from the workshop. I was talking to the owner of one of the Tibetan restaurants in Zurich and she said you can also get them in the Reform Houses. She mentioned one in Albisrieden.

    ReplyDelete