Tuesday 1 March 2011

The airport may look small from the air but it is much bigger from the ground

As you may recall my 3 week break from running has now ended.  I started off last Monday by doing a run after work, and then the next day I did feel some tenderness in my knee, which really worried me.  But that same day (Tuesday) I had a sports massage which also included some stretching work, and after that my knee felt normal again.

Last Wednesday lunchtime I did my usual lunchtime run with work colleagues.  The day after that my knee felt completely normal.  I was hoping therefore that whatever stretches we did during the massage session on Tuesday had sorted out whatever had caused me the tenderness on Tuesday morning.

I decided now it was time to pick up the distance in order to stand any chance of still doing the Zurich marathon in April.  Some friends of mine from the UK were coming out for a long weekend of skiing and snowboarding, arriving on Thursday night, so I planned an after work run around the airport, allowing me just enough time to take a shower and then head to the airport to meet my friends.

There was only one snag and that was that I seriously underestimated how long it would take to run around the airport.  It only seems like a small airport but the outer perimeter is not that short taking into account the runways extending out in different directions and the fact that it isn't always possible to follow the perimeter fence.  In total it took me 2 hours from work, around the airport outer perimeter, and then back to work.  The last part along the river was pretty muddy and I was slipping and sliding all over the place.

It was actually quite interesting scenery wise being able to watch the planes coming into land and taking off.  There seem to be a lot of small farms dotted around the perimeter fence, and there are also some nice wooded areas.  I would like to try that run again but maybe this time during the day as it is quite spooky doing it in the pitch black.

No comments:

Post a Comment