Wednesday 22 December 2010

To indulge or not to indulge? Christmas time is here again.

Tomorrow I will be taking the Eurostar from Paris to London, and I am hoping that this year my train does not get stuck because of "extra than fluffier snow", which was Eurostar's official explanation for last years fiasco.

Last year I was on one of the trains which reached the tunnel and then decided to turn round and head back to the outskirts of Paris.  Two days of being herded round like a sheep ensued for me and my fellow passengers.  Had Eurostar given me the option of getting out and running through the tunnel I think I would have accepted it in retrospect.  Fingers crossed this year will be better.

If I do manage to get back to the UK then it will be a xmas of nice food, family and wine, but also a xmas of training.  I can already feel the base fitness improving.  Once a week I do a lunchtime run with a work colleague and usually I am quite happy with the distance we cover.  But today I was feeling in great from and decided to extend it by an extra kilometre.  Now that I have been given a conditional offer of a place in the Marathon des Sables 2012, subject to completion of the documentation and a medical declaration signed by my doctor, the training will have to become ever more a part of my daily routine.

Actually though it is easy to incorporate some fitness into your daily routine even if it is a small amount.  For instance walking up or down the stairs instead of taking the lift, getting out of the tram one stop early and walking the last bit, using a powerball or handgrip whilst watching the television or whilst taking a coffee break at work and so on.  If you don't know what a powerball is, I highly recommend it.  It is a lot of fun and improves your grip strength at the same time.  Also if you get the one with the counter then you can take it into work and compete with your colleagues to see who can achieve the highest rpm.  Here is the link http://www.amazon.co.uk/Powerball-Neon-Pro/dp/B000OT8J9G

No comments:

Post a Comment