Wednesday 29 December 2010

Getting longer and longer

No I am not being rude for those of you with impure minds.  I am talking about my running.  As some people have been fattening up, trying their best to look like Father Christmases, and drinking themselves silly, I have been observing moderation with regards to food and drink and have been fitting in regular runs.

I recognise fully the fact that I am prone to overtraining.  It is like a disease but at least if you can recognise you are prone to the disease you can do something about it.  So each time I do a long run the following day I am taking a rest day.  By rest day I don't mean cross training or taking an active rest day, but a complete rest day.  As the weeks go on I will have some days where I will be training several days consecutively, but it is too soon to do that so far.  My muscles, tendons, ligaments and joints are not tough enough yet to withstand all the pounding forces of the road and they need time to adapt.

At the moment I am up to running for one hour or more without any problems.  Tomorrow I will try to increase it ever so slightly.  But for each run I take on the road I am taking several off road.  Actually the other day I was running in the snow and that was a great work out.  Obviously you need to be careful not to slip over, but I was running across a field so at least if I fell I would get a soft landing.  And the extra resistance that the snow running gives really makes you work hard.  It isnt even necessary to go as far or for as long as you do on your normal non snow runs.  For the marathon des sables, snow running and sand running will be great preparation training.  If I am still living in Switzerland I guess snow running will be much easier to find.

I am still in the UK at the moment but when I get back I think its time for a second weigh in.  I could do it here but I want it to be on the same scales as before.  Even if I havent gained any weight over this festive period it will be a success, but I feel like I may even have lost a few pounds.  Let's see.

No comments:

Post a Comment